Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU Amsterdam) was founded in 1880. It was built as an independent university, free from interference by either church or state. At first, the university was only open to Reformed Christians who financed the university entirely through private funding and donations (via the famous ‘VU boxes’). In the 1960s the university became primarily state-funded and has since welcomed people from a rich diversity of cultural backgrounds and religious faiths.
Ever since 1880, the university has continued to expand. It now comprises nine faculties and hosts more than 15,000 Bachelor’s and almost 11,500
Master’s students. VU Amsterdam has over 4,500 employees (3,500 FTE), and more than 20% of its academic staff has an international background. The male-female ratio is evenly distributed. The teaching and research programs cover a broad spectrum of disciplines, from the Humanities to the
Sciences and from Medicine to Theology.
We are pleased to inform you that the application for Vrije University Student Exchange Program 2020/2021 is now open for Universitas Gadjah Mada students.
Spend a semester or even a whole year studying in Amsterdam! Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers about 300 Bachelor’s courses in English. Many Master’s courses are also open to exchange students. The University offers exchange programs for students from partner universities for one (5 months) or two semesters (10 months).
- Online application form (*after nominated)
- Official Academic Transcript
- Curriculum Vitae
- Motivation Letter
- Letter of Nomination from faculty (*addressed to Head of Office of International Affairs)
- Colored copy of passport
- English language proficiency (Min. Score of TOEFL – ITP=530, iBT 80 or IELTS 6.0)
- Letter of Recommendation from the academic advisor
- Confirmation Letter of Participation (download)
- Certificate of Enrollment from faculty
- Submit the aforementioned documents to the Office of International Affairs, UGM (Bulaksumur F-13) for internal review.
- OIA staff will evaluate your application.
- Once you are selected as Nominated Student, the Office of International Affairs will send your official nomination to VU Amsterdam and you may proceed to the online application through the website as the host-university selection.
- The FINAL decision from Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.