The theme of the second summer school is a broadening of the application of transnationalism in looking not just at the historical phenomenon, but present-day economic, social, religious, cultural and political phenomenon in the city of Yogyakarta that is rooted in transnational forces and flows.
We intend to look into these phenomena critically through theoretical, historical and social science discussion on various transnational manifestations in the city of Yogyakarta. These transnational phenomena appear in the form of social spaces, cultural events, economies, and belief systems and represent the intertwining of transnational and local spaces and societies. These represented long historical phenomena from the period when Southeast Asia was part of that Asian trade network that brought over foreign culture, religion and social practices that would be entwined in the city’s identities.
For more information please visit here
- To emphasize understanding about history and transnationalism in Southeast Asia
- To discuss contemporary issues related to transnationalism in Southeast Asia in culture, gender sexuality, economy and religion context.
- To emphasize understanding about transnationalism process network in Southeast Asia.
Time & Place
Date: July 22nd – August 2nd, 2019
Time: 08.30 am-15.00 pm
Course Venue: Faculty of Cultural Sciences, Universitas Gadjah Mada
Field Research: Communities in Yogyakarta
The course is free but limited to 36 participants only, and please read carefully the important information below:
- Applicants are BA/MA students of Humanity Studies and Social Sciences all over the world
- The application should include a CV, a short letter of motivation that also indicates the student’s main fields of interest, personal photo, a scan of passport and student card.
- Communication during the course will be in English
- All selected applicants from outside Yogyakarta are granted free accommodation
- All selected applicants are expected to secure their own travel expense and itinerary from and to their home country
- Refreshments and lunches during the course are available
If you’re interested please fill in the registration form no later than May 30th, 2019.