Grants for International Research Collaborations
Greetings From The United Kingdom!
The British Council is inviting applications from UK institutions for research proposals, offering grants of up to £100,000 (£125,000 full economic costs), to collaborate with international partners through the Department of Science, Innovation, and Technology’s International Science Partnerships Fund (ISPF).
Countries initially joining this call include Egypt, Indonesia, Kenya, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Turkey and Vietnam.
ISPF research collaboration grants provide small scale seed funding for collaborations between the UK and the participating ISPF countries/territories in each call to:
- initiate new research and innovation collaborations between academic groups, departments, and institutions in partner countries and the UK
- develop existing collaborations at group, departmental, and institutional level
- encourage these collaborations to work with non-academic organisations and individuals to support the exchange of research and innovation expertise and the translation of research knowledge into tangible benefits
- establish local hubs for UK- partner country/territory activity in a particular area, enabling engagement from the wider research and innovation community.
Find out more: https://opportunities-insight.britishcouncil.org/news/opportunities/grants-international-research-collaborations
Who can apply
Both UK and international partner researchers must be leading researchers or established researchers. In addition, UK researchers must be:
- permanent employees at their institutions (emeritus and honorary professors may not apply as lead)
- working at a not-for-profit higher education institution or eligible research organisation with the capacity to undertake high-quality research.
Please see the ‘Research Collaborations Guidance for Applicants’ for additional criteria.
|8 January 2024
|Deadline for applications
|12 March 2024,
12 noon UK time
|Outcome of selection
|UK project start dates:
see in-country guidance for partner dates
|1 August 2024
About the International Science Partnerships Fund
The ISPF was set up by the UK’s Department for Science, Innovation and Technology to support strategic research partnerships between the UK and international partners. Through the fund, UK research and innovation bodies can apply for calls and opportunities around four major global themes: planet, health, technology and talent.
Find out more about the International Science Partnerships Fund
Equality, diversity and inclusion
British Council are committed to equality, diversity, and inclusion, and to continuing to attract and nurture talented people from the widest pool to remain internationally competitive in research and innovation. We believe that everyone has a right to be treated with dignity and respect, and to be provided with equal opportunities to flourish and succeed. This includes avoidance of bias due to disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, sex (gender), and age.
The British Council is committed to equal opportunities and diversity and will consider, on a case-by-case basis, requests for support to encourage underrepresented groups to engage in ISPF activity, so long as sufficient justification is provided.
The British Council approach to contracting can be found here: https://www.britishcouncil.org/sites/default/files/ispf_grant_base_template.docx
The list of UK eligible research organizations is at: https://www.britishcouncil.org/sites/default/files/eligible_uk_research_organisations_0.pdf
How to apply: complete and submit your application using the online form at this link: https://britishcouncil2.formstack.com/forms/research_collaborations_global
Application deadline: 12 March 2024, 12.00 noon UK time
If you require an alternative format for reasons of accessibility, please contact us at: