Warm greetings from the University of Tokyo, Japan!
The University of Tokyo, also known and hereinafter referred to as “UTokyo”, was established in 1877 as the first national university in Japan. As a leading research university, UTokyo offers courses in essentially all academic disciplines at both undergraduate and graduate levels and conducts research across the full spectrum of academic activity. The university aims to provide its students with a rich and varied academic environment that ensures opportunities for both intellectual development and the acquisition of professional knowledge and skills.
UTokyo accepts exchange students from partner universities with which the University has entered into a Memorandum of Understanding concerning student exchange. Exchange students can choose between Type U and Type G programs. Type U program is designed for undergraduate students to take various courses given in English and/or Japanese in the various Faculties/College in accordance with their English and/or Japanese language proficiency. Type G program is designed for graduate students. Type G participants will belong to one of the Graduate Schools to which they are admitted and will be able to take various courses or conduct research under the guidance of a faculty advisor.
We are pleased to inform you that the Application for University-wide Student Exchange Program (USTEP) for Spring 2023 at University of Tokyo is now open for Universitas Gadjah Mada students.
Factsheet: UTokyo Fact Sheet 2022
Application instructions: USTEP Application Instructions
USTEP Overview : http://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/en/academics/ustep-overview.html
Type U (For Undergraduates) : http://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/en/academics/ustep-type-u.html
Type G (For Graduates): http://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/en/academics/ustep-type-g.html
Response to COVID-19:
Please note that admission to the USTEP program for Spring 2023 may be canceled in light of the global pandemic and related global situations. Any updates will be communicated to our partners.
– University Response to COVID-19: https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/en/general/COVID-19.html
– Notice for international students regarding COVID-19 (Website for International Students): https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/adm/inbound/en/index.html
- 3rd to 6th-semester undergraduate students (S1) or Postgraduate students (s2)
- Enrolled in Universitas Gadjah Mada during the program
- Be proficient in English. Non-native English speakers must have a score of at least TOEFL (iBT) score of 90, IELTS overall band score of 6.5 or Cambridge English Qualifications “C1 Advanced”
- Students who wish to take courses offered in Japanese, students must submit an official certificate of JLPT Level N1.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Motivation Letter
- Official Academic Transcript record
- Application Form
- Consent Form
- Research/Study Plan
- Reference Letter
- Letter of Enrollment from Faculty
- Letter of Nomination from Faculty (addressed to the Head of Office of International Affairs UGM)
- English Language Proficiency Certificate
- All the document listed as required on the Application Guide
- Copy of passport photo identification page
- ID Photo Data: Taken within the last 6 months (File size: Less than 2MB)
- Health Certificate
- Confirmation Letter of Participation (download)
- Each Graduate School may require further documents in addition to the above application documents. (e.g. screenshot of e-mail correspondence between the exchange student and a faculty member who may serve as an academic advisor) See Prerequisites for USTEP Type G Applicants
- Submit the aforementioned documents to UGM International Exposure Application Form: http://ugm.id/IntExposureApplication and no later than August 31, 2022.
- OIA staff will evaluate your application. Once you are selected as Nominated Applicants, OIA will confirm your official nomination to the University of Tokyo and you may proceed to the online application.
- The FINAL decision from the University of Tokyo.
- In the meantime, the students are required to keep the hard file of all documents until further notice by the Office of International Affairs.
- In case the faculty could not provide the letter of enrollment and nomination during this period, the official nomination through email from the faculty is acceptable. The official nomination could be delivered to firstname.lastname@example.org (cc to email@example.com)
- Application of outgoing mobility for fall/odd semester in AY 2022/2023 will be processed but the implementation/execution will carefully consider the latest development of COVID-19 and government’s regulation