The Aichi Prefectural Government is currently taking applications for the Aichi Scholarship Program. Utilizing scholarship money provided by the prefectural government, students from Asia will travel to Aichi and enroll in graduate school to study the specialized fields and related subjects that support Aichi’s manufacturing industry. After completing their courses of study, these students will then be highly expected to seek employment within Aichi.
- Recommending Organizations: Applicants must apply through graduate schools located in Aichi.
- Deadline: Application forms must be handed in to the Aichi Prefectural Government by May 18, 2018 by a recommending organization.
- Selection: The governor selects the scholarship recipients from among applicants recommended by the Aichi Scholarship Program Selection Committee. The selection results will be announced to the recommending universities by the end of July 2018.
Date of Arrival: Applicants must be able to come to Japan by October 2018 on a day to be designated by the Governor.
The Aichi Scholarship Program provides the followings:
Living Allowance: 150,000 yen per month
This living allowance in principle will be reduced under the following circumstances:
- You leave Japan for more than 30 days.
- You take a leave of absence from school.
The living allowance will be reduced to 100,000 yen per month from April 2020, if you fail to pass the N4 or higher level of Japanese Language Proficiency Test organized by The Japan Foundation and Japan Educational Exchanges and Services by the end of March 2020. The allowance will be increased to 150,000 yen per month from the month following the day you submit the passing certificate to the Aichi Prefectural Government after you pass the N4 or higher level of Japanese Language Proficiency Test.
Travel Expenses to Japan:
- Travel expenses to Japan ― A predetermined amount of money, decided by the Governor, will be provided to each applicant to allow travel from their nearest international airport to Central Japan International Airport (economy class).
- Travel expenses from Japan ― As a general rule, return airfare will not be provided.
Entrance examination fees, entrance fees and tuition for both research and graduate study within certain limits as per the following list:
- Entrance examination fee (research student) – ¥9,800
- Entrance fee (research student) – ¥84,600
- Tuition (six months; research student) – ¥178,200
- Entrance examination fee (master’s course student) – ¥30,000
- Entrance fee (master’s course student) – ¥282,000
- Tuition (annual; master’s course student) – ¥535,800
*Amounts subject to change.
Documents to be submitted by the applicant to the recommending organization:
- Application form (Form 1)
- Pledge (Form 2)
- Certificate of health (Form 3 issued within the past six (6) months)
- Proof of graduation (copy of certificate of graduation, diploma, or degree) or a certificate of student status and proof of expected graduation (if the applicant is in college)
- Academic record issued by the university from which applicant graduated
- Certified copy of passport (if the applicant does not have a passport upon application, a certified copy of the applicant’s birth certificate or a citizenship certificate will be sufficient)
- Recommendation to the governor by the dean/department chairperson (or person of higher position) of the university department from which the applicant graduated. (No specific form)
- Vietnamese applicants who have a recommendation from Vietnamese Aichi Ryugakusei OB・OG Network (VARONET) to the governor should submit it. (Form 5)
- Three (3) photographs (4 cm by 3 cm, taken within the last six (6) months. In the photos, the applicant must be facing forward, the upper torso and face must be clearly visible, and the applicant must not be wearing a hat. The applicant’s name and nationality must be written on the back of each photo. One (1) of these photos should be attached to the application in the space provided.)
Documents to be submitted by the recommending university to the Aichi Prefectural Government:
- Recommendation to the governor by the university president (No specific form)
- Recommendation to the governor by the professor in charge of the applicant’s desired field of study (Form 4)
- If awarded, reductions in tuition should be recorded on the Tuition Exemption Details Form (Form 6)
- Record of Applicant’s Japanese Language Ability (Form 7)
- If at the time of application the applicant holds a certified level of N2 or higher (or Level 2 or higher on the old examination) from the Japanese-Language Proficiency Test or scored a total of 200 points or more on the Japanese as a Foreign Language section (reading comprehension, listening and listening-reading comprehension combined) of the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students offered by Japan Student Services Organization, please collect the documents that verify this and attach it to this application. (If the applicant cannot produce proof, interview the applicant, determine their proficiency, and record the results.)
- If at the time of application the applicant does not have the Japanese language skills mentioned above but the recommending university has a program of Japanese language study and intends to instruct the applicant in order to acquire the equivalent level of proficiency, please attach the curriculum that will be used.
Note 1) The above documents should be written in Japanese or English and typed if possible.
Note 2) If “14 Proposed Study Plan” or “15 Proposed Work Plan After Completing the Program” in the (a) application form or (g)
Recommendation by the dean/department chairperson is written in English, please attach a Japanese translation prepared by the recommending organization.
Note 3) Documents will not be returned once they are submitted.
Note 4) Incomplete documents or applications submitted after the deadline will not be accepted.
Note 5) Forms can downloaded from here
- Curriculum Vitae
- Motivation Letter
- Certificate of Enrollment from faculty
- Official academic transcript
- Letter of Recommendation from academic advisor
- Colored copy of passport
- Passport-size photo (4 pieces, 3.5 x 4.5 cm, white background color, taken within the past three months)
- Letter of Nomination from faculty (*addressed to Head of Office of International Affairs)
- English language proficiency (Min. Score of TOEFL – ITP=530, iBT 80 or IELTS 6.0)
- Submit the aforementioned documents to Office of International Affairs, UGM (Bulaksumur F-13) for internal review.
- OIA staffs will evaluate your application.
- Once you are selected as Nominated Student, OIA will send your application to Aichi Prefectural University as for host university selection.
- FINAL decision from Aichi Prefectural University.
Please send all documents above in 2 COPIES to Office of International Affairs, UGM (Bulaksumur Block F-13) no later than April 26, 2018.