Showa Women’ s University founded in 1920, is one of the most globalized women’s colleges in Japan. It is a liberal arts college located in central Tokyo (15 minutes from Shibuya).
SWU Academic Program
A 15 week program offered in both Fall and Spring semester. Students will take courses offered in Japanese by 12 different departments. Students can learn subjects of their interest and also experience actual Japanese university classes with other SWU students.
Below are lists of courses recommended for international students.
In order to register for the courses, students must submit their choice during the orientation period and receive an approval before attending class.
*There are also several Japanese Language courses designed only for international students.
*Due to limitations on class size and because of the Japanese proficiency level required to take certain courses, applicants may not be able to take all the classes they choose.
Intensive Japanese Language Program
This program is designed for undergraduate and graduate students who are currently studying outside Japan and wish to improve their Japanese language skills. Besides studying in classes, students also have chances to immerse themselves in language experiences through off-campus activities interacting with Japanese students. The students are required to have studied basic Japanese (JLPT N3 level or CEFR A2 level recommended) to be enrolled in the program. There is also an internship option following the program for students who want to extend their stay.
Students are required to take 3 mandatory Japanese language courses. Students may also take up to 2 liberal arts courses of their choice, either in English or Japanese, depending on their language level.
* Sample of courses conducted in English: Global Liberal Arts, Business across Culture, Japanese Modern and Contemporary History, Japan as Viewed from the World, and many others.
- Program Fee and Accommodation:
Program Fee JPY 300,000 /semester * Special scholarships are offered for students from SWU partner institutions. Please contact your international education office for more details.
Accommodation Approx. JPY45,000 ~ 60,000 / month SWU offers 3 types of accommodation choices for international students. Students are to submit a request after application to the program.
- Interaction with Japanese Students
Each international student is assigned a “Host Sister” and a “Host Family”. A “Host Sister” supports students with school life in general including necessary registration at ward offices and airport pick up upon arrival. A “Host Family” spends time with the student on weekends to give her a chance lifestyle.
Students may join various seasonal events with Japanese students. SWU offers variety of activities and events to the international students in order to experience Japanese cultures and customs with Japanese students such as; Halloween party, leaf peeping, performance, overnight event and Hakone visit, student club activities, etc.
- Optional Program
SWU offers an optional internship experience (maximum 1 month) for students who wish to extend their stay following the “Intensive Japanese Language Program.”
*SWU Academic Program
Students who have qualified Japanese proficiency by the end of Intensive Japanese Language Program are eligible to register the “SWU Academic Program” in the following Spring Semester (Apr-Jul).
Female undergraduate or graduate university students
1. Application Form (forms differ by programs)
(*Please print-out the application form of the participating program.)
SWU Academic Program Application Form
SWU Intensive Japanese Language Program Application Form
2. Medical authorization release
3. Curriculum Vitae
4. Application for Certificate of Eligibility
5. Official Academic Transcript
6. Letter of Recommendation from Academic Supervisor
7. Letter of Enrollment from faculty
8. Letter of Nomination from faculty (*addressed to Head of Office of International Affairs)
9. Colored copy of passport
10. Passport-size photo (3 pieces, white background color, taken within the past three months)
11. Motivation Letter
12. English language proficiency (Min. Score of TOEFL – ITP=530, iBT 80 or IELTS 6.0)
13. Japanese language proficiency (JLPT N3 level or CEFR A2 for Intensive Japanese Language Program, and JLPT N2 for SWU Academic Program)
1) Submit the aforementioned documents to Office of International Affairs, UGM (Bulaksumur F-13) for internal review.
2) OIA staffs will evaluate your application.
3) Once you are selected as Nominated Student, OIA will send your application to Showa Women’s University as for host university selection.
4) FINAL decision from Showa Women’s University.
Please send all documents above in 2 COPIES to Office of International Affairs, UGM (Bulaksumur Block F-13) no later than November 16, 2016.