JASSO Student Exchange Support Program (Scholarship for Short-Term Study in Japan)
Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) each year offers scholarships for international students, which are available for the qualified students accepted by Japanese universities or graduate schools under the student exchange agreement on a short-term basis from three months up to one year. The Program is intended to promote international student exchange between Japanese and overseas universities, thereby mutually enhancing the quality of their educational and scholastic activities while promoting mutual understanding and friendship between countries.
Partner University in Japan will recommend qualified incoming exchange students for this JASSO Scholarship.
Please note [IMPORTANT]:
- Partner University in Japan can NOT guarantee that the recommended students will be accepted as grantees. The number of JASSO Scholarships they get from JASSO is very limited. Students therefore should not rely on the JASSO scholarship and they should be prepared to finance their study period in Japan on their own.
- Incoming exchange students will NOT automatically get the JASSO scholarship. In nominating for the JASSO Scholarship, the exchange program coordinators are requested to give us detailed recommendation remarks as well as the preference of the nominee(s).
- If the students failed in acquiring this scholarship, Partner University in Japan does NOT provide any financial grant. Therefore, it will be noted as ‘self-funded’ scheme with tuition fee waived.
- It is not allowed to apply for this scholarship through more than one Japanese university at the same time.
- Applicants for this scholarship are not allowed to apply for Monbukagakusho scholarships (Monbukagakusho scholarship by university recommendation or Monbukagakusho scholarship by embassy recommendation).
[Qualification and conditions]
Applicants must be a student currently enrolled in a regular course of study at an overseas university or graduate school and must satisfy all of the following qualifications and conditions. Exchange Program Coordinators at the students’ home institution are requested to check that the applicants satisfy all of the following qualification and conditions:
- Students who have been (will be) accepted by Partner University in Japan under the student exchange agreement with their home institutions.
- Students demonstrating excellent academic and personal records for the previous academic year at their home institutions. Please consider the following principles on grading standard designated by JASSO when you recommend your student(s) to this scholarship program.
[Grading standard example designated by JASSO]
above 2.30 GPA points on the grading of 4 scales.
- Students who have a definite motivation as well as the clear study plan in any field available at the host institutions and who can be expected to gain an effective result by studying in Japan.
- Those students who do not have the sufficient financial background to study in Japan.
- Those who, upon termination of the period of study in Japan, will return to their home institutions and resume their studies at their home institutions or obtain a degree from their home institutions.
- Those eligible for a visa with a status of “Ryugaku (college student).”
- Those who don’t receive any other scholarships in excess of \80,000 per month, which are provided for the purpose to study in Japan.
- Those who have not been awarded this JASSO scholarship before.
- The home institution is expected to accept and transfer the credits and/or academic achievements obtained at the host institution to the student’s own degree program at the home institution.
- Students who will complete their degree program and graduate from the home institution partway through their studies at the host institution are NOT eligible to apply for the JASSO scholarship. If a student completes his/her degree program following completion of his/her study at the host institution, i.e. they will not have to complete any further studies at the home institutions on their return, they are eligible to apply.
- Students accepted by JASSO as grantees of this scholarship will not be able to receive any other JASSO Scholarships for Privately Financed International Students.
[Contents of scholarship]
Scholarship: \80,000 per month (for up to 12 months).
[Duration of scholarship]
From three months up to twelve months (one year).
[Application procedures and deadline]
Direct applications sent to JASSO by students or home institutions will not be accepted.
[Screening by JASSO]
JASSO will screen the annual plan and application documents submitted by the Japanese host institutions and decide on the scholarship number grantees at a selection committee of specialists and related government personnel.
[Notice of JASSO’s screening results]
Japanese host institution will notify the exchange program coordinator of the home institution of the results of the screening by JASSO.
For more information regarding JASSO Scholarship go to: https://www.jasso.go.jp/en/study_j/scholarships/index.html