Nagaoka University of Technology (NUT) is currently inviting students from overseas universities to apply for the Nagaoka Summer School for Young Engineers (NASSYE) in 2018. This program is open to students in their third year*1 of university undergraduate programs. The program also offers students the opportunity to participate in research on topics set by the laboratories at NUT, as well as experience cultural exchange (including joint activities with NUT students).
For further information please visit: http://www.nagaokaut.ac.jp/e/kokusai/nassye.html
- Field of Study:
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical, Electronics and Information Engineering
- Materials Science and Technology
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Information and Management Systems Engineering
- Nuclear System Safety Engineering
- Number of Students to be Accepted: 20 students
- Program Period: August 20 to August 31, 2018
- Program Content:
- Participation in a research-based program at an assigned laboratory
- Company and city tours
- Experience Japanese culture
Laboratories at NUT
Applicants must satisfy the following conditions:
- Currently enrolled in the third year*1 of an undergraduate program at an overseas university at the time of application, and scheduled to graduate before March 31, 2020
*1 Currently enrolled in the second year for students in a 3-year undergraduate program
- Have interest in enrolling in a master’s or doctoral program at NUT in the future
Have at least one of the following certifications of English language proficiency:
|English Test and Minimum Score||TOEFL iBT||61 or above|
|TOEFL CBT||173 or above|
|TOEFL PBT||500 or above|
|TOEIC||550 or above|
|IELTS||5 or above|
|Cambridge English||155 or above|
PARTICIPATION FEE, FINANCIAL AND ACCOMODATION SUPPORT
The program is free of charge for successful applicants, and will not require any payment of participation fees. In addition, NUT will provide the following to each participant:
- Scholarship: JPY 40,000
- Accommodation in Nagaoka during the period specified above.
Note: Each participant is responsible for the following expenses: round-trip transportation from their home country to Nagaoka, accommodation fees (accommodation fee is free for participants who stay in the accommodations provided by NUT), daily expenses such as food and groceries, as well as the purchase of health and casualty insurance during their stay in Japan.
HEALTH AND CASUALTY INSURANCE
In order to participate in the program, participants are required to purchase health and casualty insurance during their stay in Japan, which will be arranged by NUT.
Applicants must download the necessary forms from the website and submit the following:
- Application Form (Form A)
- Certificate of Enrollment (Form B)
- Academic Transcript
Only the official academic transcript with the institution’s authorized stamp or signature will be accepted. If the applicant is not able to obtain this transcript due to their institution’s regulations, they must obtain a certified true copy of the transcript. Certification must be made by the registrar or a representative of the institution. The administrative office of the institution may send the certificate directly to NUT.
- Recommendation Letter
The recommendation letter should be written by the applicant’s academic advisor or head of department (or above).
- Motivation Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Nomination
- Copy of the English language proficiency test score as indicated above.
The required inclusion of a standardized test score in the application can be waived if evidence is provided that the applicant is enrolled at an institution in which the medium of instruction is English.
- All of the submitted materials above should be filled out in English or Japanese using a word processor or a black ballpoint pen (block letters). If a certificate is written in another language, the applicant must include a translation in English.
- For the Application Form and Certificate of Enrollment (Form A and B), please use only the provided forms from the website (can be downloaded here).
- The application will not be accepted unless all of the aforementioned application materials are fully and correctly completed. Applications will be rejected if any of the materials are incomplete or received after the deadline.
- The application materials will not be returned to the applicant under any circumstances.
- Submit the aforementioned documents to Office of International Affairs, UGM (Bulaksumur F-13) for internal review.
- OIA staffs will evaluate your application.
- Once you are selected as Nominated Student, OIA will send your application to Nagaoka University of Technology as for host university selection.
- FINAL decision from Nagaoka University of Technology.
NUT will send the screening results to successful applicants via e-mail on June 1, 2018. Accepted applicants will also be notified about their assigned academic advisor and research laboratory at NUT.
Please send all documents above in 2 COPIES to Office of International Affairs, UGM (Bulaksumur Block F-13) no later than April 2, 2018.