[This program is self-funded]
As a part of the future reform strategy towards the 150th anniversary of Hokkaido University (HU), the university launched the Hokkaido Summer Institute (HSI) in 2016, utilizing the climate advantage of summer in Hokkaido which is cooler than any other regions of Japan. HSI is a program that brings together leading researchers with proven educational and research track records from around the world, and provides courses in collaboration with HU faculty members. In 2017, more than 140 researchers from over 110 universities/research institutes from all over the world will gather at HU. HSI allows participants to expand their knowledge of subjects in cutting-edge fields of research at HU that previously were open only to students of the university. Program participants have an opportunity to attend classes that employ attractive educational techniques, such as field training in Hokkaido’s extensive land resources and active learning activities, so they can develop into professionals capable of thriving on the world stage. All instruction at HSI is in English. This provides international students with a stress-free learning environment without having to worry about language barriers, and also creates a special opportunity for Japanese students, who can audit classes taught by internationally acclaimed researchers. The university strongly hopes that HSI students will cultivate a better understanding of other cultures and improve their English-language proficiency and communication skills through exchanges with researchers and students from other countries. Off-campus events and field trips are also planned so participants can enjoy Hokkaido’s beautiful summer.
For further information, please visit: https://hokkaidosummerinstitute.oia.hokudai.ac.jp/
List of course offered: http://hokkaidosummerinstitute.oia.hokudai.ac.jp/courses/
Application fee: none
Enrollment fee: none
Tuition fee: 14,800 yen per credit
Students granted permission for admission will be notified of the deadline for tuition fee payment. Tuition fees that have already been paid are not refundable.
*Those who enroll as exchange students from Hokkaido University (HU)’s partner institutions are waived the tuition fees at HU. They must inform the relevant office at their home institution about their application before submitting application documents. Click on the URL below to check HU’s partner institutions.
• Curriculum Vitae
• Motivation Letter
• Letter of Enrollment from faculty
• Letter of Recommendation from academic advisor
• Letter of Nomination from faculty (*addressed to Head of Office of International Affairs)
• Official academic transcript
• Colored copy of passport
• Passport-size photo (4 pieces, 3.5 x 4.5 cm, white background color, taken within the past three months)
• English language proficiency (Min. Score of TOEFL – ITP=530, iBT 80 or IELTS 6.0)
1) Submit the aforementioned documents to Office of International Affairs, UGM (Bulaksumur F-13) for internal review.
2) OIA staffs will evaluate your application.
3) Once you are selected as Nominated Student, you may continue online application through website http://hokkaidosummerinstitute.oia.hokudai.ac.jp/applications/signup_close.html
4) FINAL decision from Hokkaido University.
Please send all documents above in 2 COPIES to Office of International Affairs, UGM (Bulaksumur Block F-13) no later than January 31, 2017.