[Scholarship is offered for this program]
The Hitachi Global Foundation (hereinafter referred to as “the Foundation”) offers Research Support Grants (hereinafter referred to as “the grants”) to faculty members of eligible universities in Southeast Asia who wish to conduct research in natural sciences or interdisciplinary research connecting natural sciences and social sciences that contribute to solving social issues at Japanese universities or research institutions.
Application Guidelines: 3. Application Guidelines
Application Packages: Hitachi Scholarship Program 2018 (UGM)
Applicants must satisfy all the following criteria:
(1) PhD holder
(2) Faculty member of one of the eligible universities shown in Appendix 1 (UGM Included)
(3) Under the age of 46 as of October 31, 2017
FIELD OF RESEARCH
The program targets research that contributes to solving social issues in the field of natural sciences in
the following three categories and interdisciplinary research connecting natural sciences and social
sciences. The details of each research category are shown in the classification table in Appendix 2.
(1) Energy, Environment
(2) Urban Development, Transportation
The contents of the grants are as follows:
(1) Maintenance allowance: 180,000 yen per month (6,000 yen per day)
(2) Travel expenses: Economy class round-trip airfare ticket between the nearest airport of thegrantee’s university and the airport in Japan, and travel expenses between the airport in Japan and the place of the grantee’s research affiliation, including expenses to visit the Foundation.
PERIOD OF RESEARCH
Applicants must propose a research period after consultation with potential host scientists, considering the
(1) Grants are awarded for a period of a maximum of 12 months.
(2) Commencement of the research in Japan must be no later than 31 March 2019.
Grantees must submit the research report to the Foundation within one month after leaving Japan. In principle, the report will be posted on the Foundation website. In addition, if necessary, grantees will be asked to give a presentation of the result of their research.
SELECTION PROCESS AND SCHEDULE
The selection process and schedule is as follows. The president’s office or international office of each eligible university is where applicants must contact to acquire information in the first place. Through the call for applications to the notification of result, any important information will be directly sent to each
office of eligible universities.
Beg of Jul < Call for Applications >
End of Oct < Application Deadline >
Nov – Feb Screen application documents
Dec – Feb Conduct interviews with applicants
Feb – Apr Meet host scientists, if necessary
Apr – May Selection committee sits
End of May < Notification of Result >
Applicants must submit the following documents:
(1) 4. Application Form Application Form: Typewritten in English (Handwriting is not accepted) in original Microsoft Word format. (Do not convert into any other format.)
(2) Photograph: Approx. 4.5cm x 3.5cm size, taken within the past 6 months.
(3) Certificate of PhD: In English, or with an English translation attached. PDF scanned format. (Photocopies will not be accepted).
(4) Letter of Recommendation: From the head or dean of the faculty to which the applicant belongs. Free format in English, converted into PDF format.
(5) Letter of Acceptance: From the host scientist of the Japanese university or research institution where the applicant wishes to conduct research. Free format in English, converted into PDF format.
(6) Papers Submitted by Applicant: For the selection committee to refer to in evaluating the application. (Submit no more than three papers.)
1) Submit the aforementioned documents to Office of International Affairs, UGM (Bulaksumur F-13) for internal review.
2) OIA staffs will evaluate your application.
3) Once you are selected as Nominated Student, you may continue online application through website.
4) FINAL decision from Hitachi Global Foundation.
Please send all documents above in 2 COPIES to Office of International Affairs, UGM (Bulaksumur Block F-13) no later than October 10, 2017.