2017 is a monumental year for ASEAN and Korea. Since its foundation in 1967, ASEAN has reached a golden milestone, celebrating its 50th anniversary. This year is also highlighted by the 10th anniversary of the ASEAN-Korea FTA, and the ASEAN-ROK Cultural Exchange Year, with inauguration of the ASEAN Culture House in Busan which is the first of its kind outside ASEAN region.
Amid the development in the ASEAN-Korea relations, the international community is witnessing rapid changes. There are growing uncertainties in the international relations such as Brexit and America’s withdrawals from multilateral agreements. Technological advancement has reached another level and now, digital economy has become reality for many countries including ASEAN and Korea.
On such a significant juncture, the ASEAN-Korea Centre, and inter-governmental organization mandated to promote economic and socio-cultural cooperation between ASEAN and Korea, is hosting the 2nd ASEAN-Korea Academic Essay Contest inviting students of ASEAN and Korea to share their perspectives and knowledge on ASEAN and ASEAN-Korea relations. The young perspectives of the youth of ASEAN and Korea will contribute toward building a true, genuine and lasting partnership.
THEME (select one of the following three themes)
- 50 Years of ASEAN and the Prospects for Multilateralism
Celebrating its 50th anniversary, ASEAN has been a successful model of regional integration and is at the heart of multilateralism. In the recent years, however, the international community has witnessed a trend against multilateralism through Brexit, America’s withdrawals from TPP and Paris Climate Accord. How can we assess ASEAN’s achievements and how will ASEAN navigate through the changing international dynamics?
- ASEAN and Korea 4.0: Adapting Digital Economy
The world is seeing the realization of the Fourth Industrial Revolution. How are ASEAN and Korea adapting to the new changes in the global economy? As 2017 marks the 10th anniversary of ASEAN-ROK FTA, how can ASEAN and Korea strengthen their economic partnership in the changing economic environment?
- ASEAN-Korea Educational Cooperation for Mutual Understanding
Building a true and lasting partnership begins from a deep mutual understanding between each other. Education serves as an effective tool to reach this goal by raising awareness and promoting deeper understanding. In what ways are ASEAN and Korea cooperating in the educational sector to promote mutual understanding? What are the difficulties, and how can they improve this cooperation to foster better understanding?
The contest invites all ASEAN and Korean undergraduate and graduate students.
English or Korean
*Abstract for both English and Korean essays must be written in English.
DEADLINE AND REQUIREMENTS
Submission: Midnight 15 October 2017 (Korea Standard Time)
Winner Announcement: 8 November 2017
- Application form
|Max. 4,000 words or 10 pages
Times New Roman
|Max. 3,000 words or 10 pages
|*Abstract: Max. 500 words / 1 page|
– Essays must be submitted and formatted in Microsoft Word.
– In-text citations must be made in APA (sixth edition).
- 10 winning essays will be compiled and published by the ASEAN-Korea Centre and the Korean Herald as the publication series Young Perspectives.
- Winners will be invited to an academic workshop to present their essays.
- Winners will be offered an opportunity for a study trip (4 nights/5 days) either to an ASEAN country or to Korea based on their nationalities:
- Korean students – Visits to the ASEAN-Korea Centre, universities, research institutes, and cultural sites in ASEAN.
- ASEAN students – Visits to the ASEAN-Korea Centre, universities, research institutes and cultural sites in Korea.
*Travel expenses will be covered by the ASEAN-Korea Centre.
All eligible entries received will be assessed by a qualified panel of judges chosen by the ASEAN-Korea Centre, the Korean Institute of Southeast Asian Studies and the ASEAN University Network.
- All requirements must be submitted electronically by the submission deadline on http://bit.ly/2017akessay
- Reference materials must be properly cited. About the plagiarism policy, refer to plagiarism.org.
- Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
- Only original and unpublished essays will be considered for assessment.
- For any inquiries, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
All applicants are kindly recommended to visit the ASEAN E-Library (http://elibrary.aseankorea.org) and read the key documents on ASEAN Community and ASEAN-Korea relations including ASEAN Community Vision 2025, ASEAN-ROK Plan of Action to Implement the Joint Declaration on Strategic Partnership for Peace and Prosperity 2016-2020, Joint Statement of the ASEAN-ROK Commemorative Summit.