Greeting from Sophia University, Tokyo!
The origin of Sophia University can be traced back to more than 450 years ago when the Jesuit missionary Francis Xavier came to Japan in 1549 to spread Christianity in Japan. The actual foundation of the university began in 1908 when three Jesuit priests arrived in Japan in response to a request from the Roman Pontiff at that time, Pope Pius X. Five years later, in 1913, they opened the first Catholic university in Japan on this Kioi site where Sophia still stands.
Sophia University led the move to internationalization in Japan, providing study and educational opportunities that take its increasingly complex world into account. Over the years, the university has created an original global network that allows researchers and students from overseas to teach and study in Japan, and Japanese researchers and students to do the same abroad. Sophia University provides an excellent educational environment for the era of internationalization, cultivating “Men and Women for Others, with Others” who can excel on the global stage.
We are pleased to announce that the application for Sophia Summer Session 2020 is now open for Universitas Gadjah Mada students.
At Sophia University’s campus in the heart of Tokyo, the program participants directly experience many aspects of not only Japan but also East Asian culture and society and witness the myriad of ways in which the cultures of the world are reflected in the maze-like urban landscape of Tokyo.
The Summer Session saw over 11,000 students from around the globe attending the program over the years, and many have gone on to pursue exciting careers related to Japan. The Summer Session offers a rare opportunity for Japanese students and international students from abroad to gather, study, discuss and reflect on Japan’s role as a member of East Asia in the world.
Whereas the January Session, which started in 2013, is obtaining more attention and the number of participants is rising so we are planning to increase the number of courses.
June 14th – July 2nd, 2020 (3 weeks)
- Letter of Nomination from faculty (*addressed to Head of Office of International Affairs)
- Certificate of Enrollment from faculty
- Official academic transcript
- English language proficiency (Min. Score of TOEFL – ITP=530, iBT 80 or IELTS 6.0)
- Colored copy of passport
- Passport-size photo (2 pieces, 3.5 x 4.5 cm, white background color, taken within the past three months)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Motivation Letter
- Submit the aforementioned documents to the Office of International Affairs, UGM (Bulaksumur F-13) for internal review.
- OIA staff will evaluate your application.
- Once you are selected as Nominated Student, the Office of International Affairs UGM will send your official nomination to Sophia University and you may proceed to the online application through the website.
- The FINAL decision from Sophia University.