The Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf (HZDR) announces the HZDR Summer Student Program!
We invite students from all over the world to join our research teams for the period between July and September. Summer students can choose to work and research at any one of the HZDR’s eight individual institutes. Research at the HZDR has many facets, providing students with the unique opportunity of working in either natural or life sciences while focusing on fundamental or application-driven research or technology development. Students will be part of an individual research group working on predefined topics. These groups will include several Young Investigator groups headed by young scientists who are still at an early stage of their career in emerging scientific fields.
All students holding a bachelor’s degree, “pre-diploma” (i.e. Vordiplom), or their equivalent are welcome to apply for an HZDR summer student position. Summer students will have the opportunity of participating in day-to-day scientific life at the HZDR while being an integral part of their scientific research groups. The tasks which will be assigned to the summer students will range from hands-on operations in the labs to data analysis, scientific computing, and theoretical science. English will be the language of communication at the workplace which is why all applicants need to speak fluent English. Together with the supervisors of their summer project, students can decide to stay at the HZDR between 8 to 12 weeks. The recommended duration is 8 weeks, however also requests of shorter and longer stays are considered. Participants have to take part in the entire lecture period (30.07.-31.08.).
The number of students admitted to the program is limited to 10. Applicants will be selected on the basis of their CV, their academic record, and the letter of recommendation written either by a professor, group leader, or scientist capable of evaluating the applicant’s scientific skills and achievements. The application documents should be sent by regular mail to the HZDR. A selection committee consisting of the HZDR research group leaders will evaluate all applications. The committee will also select the supervisors applications on the basis of the interests they expressed in their application. Please proceed to the application process.
The students will receive the following scientific and financial support:
- Lectures will be between July 30 and August 31,
- Individual discussions and meetings with their supervisors
- The opportunity of talking about their overall performance at the end of their stay
- Free accommodation during their stay
- Free season ticket for local traffic during their stay
- Grant of 36 Euros per day
How do you apply to the HZDR Summer Student Program?
Students from natural or life sciences or engineering are cordially invited to apply to the HZDR Summer Student Program. The students should hold either:
- a bachelor’s degree,
- a “pre-diploma” (i.e. Vordiplom),
- a confirmation of passing the third year of studies in the case of Master/Diploma studies without availability of Bachelor or Pre-Diploma certifications,
- or any equivalent
- PhD students and people without a valid students I.D. are not eligible for the program
Students of earlier years are accepted only in exceptional cases. Applicants will be selected on the basis of their academic record and a letter of recommendation written by a scientist who knows them and their work and is able to evaluate it. The selection committee at the HZDR consists of the senior scientists and young research group leaders. The selected candidates will be assigned to an individual research group on the basis of their chosen research topic (please find more details below) and their field of studies or specialization. During their stay, the students will get free accommodation in the HZDR Guest House. The selected students will also get a gross salary of € 36 per day which is equivalent to the position of a student assistant.
These are the application steps:
- Please select 2 of the main research topics (matter, health, technology or energy) you would like to work on during your stay (identify your 1st and your 2nd choice).
- Please fill out the application form.
- In case, you know your potential supervisor already, please put his name into the appropriate field in the registration form and remind him to apply also.
- Please submit by regular mail a copy of your academic record, the letter of recommendation from your professor, and a one page Curriculum Vitae to the address mentioned in the application form.
Notifications of acceptance or rejections will be sent by email after the selections have been made. Information on the application deadlines can be found here.
- Letter of Enrollment from faculty
- Letter of Nomination from faculty (*addressed to Head of Office of International Affairs)
- Application Form (online) : print and insert in application documents
- Official academic transcript
- Certificate of Language proficiency (iBT 80 or IELTS 6.0)
- Recommendation letter and certificate:
- The recommendation letter of a Professor from your department
- A copy of your Bachelor-equivalent certificate
- A one-page curriculum vitae
- A copy of your valid Student ID (international, e.g. ISIC preferred)
- Check carefully on the information and application processes.
- Please submit the original required documents by postal mail only to: Annette Weißig; FSPP, Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf, Dresden | Germany
- Submit the copies of the aforementioned documents to Office of International Affairs, UGM (Bulaksumur F-12) for official nomination process.
- Once you are selected as Nominated Student, OIA will also send your application to host university selection by email.
- FINAL decision from host university.
Please send all documents above in 1 hardcopy to Office of International Affairs, UGM (Bulaksumur Block F-12) and softcopy in one pdf by email to email@example.com no later than March 1, 2019.