[JASSO Scholarship is offered for this program]
YSEP is a program for exchange students from Tokyo Tech’s partner universities around the world. It is conducted in English, and offers a unique opportunity to experience a research project along with Japanese language/culture. Tokyo Tech offers following two types of YSEP.
General information: download YSEP general information General Information on YSEP
Informational sheet: Tokyo Tech Information Sheet (November 2018)
|YSEP Focused on Research (YFR)||YSEP Experiencing Japan (YEJ)|
|Admission Qualifications(When you join YSEP)||Applicants must have completed at least three years of undergraduate study, but not yet completed a master’s degree at a Tokyo Tech partner university (*1)||Applicants must have completed at least two and a half years of undergraduate study but not yet completed a master’s degree at a Tokyo Tech partner university (*1)|
|Period of Study||1 Academic Year (4 quarters)||1 Academic Semester (2 quarters)|
|Spring: March – August|
|Mid-September to the following August||OR|
|*Period cannot be extended.||Autumn: September – February|
|*Period cannot be extended.|
|Courses Offered||Compulsory Subjects (13 credits)||Compulsory Subjects (7 credits)|
|-YFR Research Seminar(2 credits / Fall semester)||-YEJ Research Project (4 credits) (*2)|
|-YFR Research Project (6 credits / Spring semester) (*2)||-Topics on Japan (1 credit)|
|-Topics on Japan (1 credit / semester*)||-Fieldwork Skills Course (1credit)|
|-Fieldwork Skills Course (1 credit / Fall semester)||-Study on Japanese Companies and Industries (1 credit)|
|-Study on Japanese Companies and Industries (1 credit / semester*)|
|*Students will take these courses for two semesters.|
|Elective Subjects from International Graduate Program, Undergraduate Program (2 credits per course) (*3) and/or Japanese Language Courses|
*1) YSEP participants must have student status at their home university during their period of study at Tokyo Tech.
(*2)YSEP participants are assigned to a laboratory and will conduct a “Research Project” under the supervision of an academic advisor.
(*3) Some courses may have prerequisite course requirements, attendance policies, and/or completion requirements of core courses for undergraduate students.
Monthly Stipend: 80,000 yen
(*4) JASSO determines awards according to its criteria. Allocation of JASSO Scholarship funding is limited.
- Curriculum Vitae (PDF)
- Motivation Letter (PDF)
- Letter of Nomination from Faculty (*addressed to Head of Office of International Affairs) (PDF)
- Certificate of Enrollment from Faculty (PDF)
- Tokyo Institute of Technology YSEP Application Form (online form, please fill the form after you are selected as nominated student)
- Letter of Recommendation from Academic Advisor (PDF)
- Official Academic Transcript (in English), please include the grading system information (PDF)
- English language proficiency certificate (Min. Score of TOEFL – ITP=530, iBT 80 or IELTS 6.0) (PDF)
- Certificate of Eligibility Application (EXCEL) (download form) (sample)
- Colored copy of Passport (ID page) (PDF)
- Application for Tokyo Tech Student ID Card (download form) (sample)
- Photograph (JPEG)**
- If the applicant’s major is Architecture, a portfolio of previous work should also be submitted.
**The photo must be 4.5cm×3.5cm, taken within the past 6 months, upper body, full faced, no caps or hats with plain background
**The file must be less than 2MB, 350 (height) X 290 (width) pixels, JPEG format with a resolution of more than 300 dpi.)
- Submit the aforementioned documents to Office of International Affairs, UGM (Bulaksumur F-12) for internal review.
- OIA staffs will evaluate your application.
- Once you are selected as Nominated Student, find 3 potential Tokyo Tech professors under whom you are interested in conducting research during your stay here.
- You can continue online application HERE
- FINAL decision from Tokyo Institute of Technology