[Scholarship is offered for this program]
The Hitachi Global Foundation (hereinafter referred to as “the Foundation”) aims to contribute to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) * by solving social issues through the promotion of Science and Technology.
The Foundation carries out the Hitachi Scholarship Research Support Program (hereinafter referred to as “the program”), that offers research support grants (hereinafter referred to as “the grants”) to the faculty members of eligible universities in Southeast Asia who wish to conduct collaborative researches that contribute to solving social issues at universities or research institutions in Japan.
Program Brochure:Program Brochure
Application Guidelines: Application Guideline
Application Form: Application Form
Letter of Recommendation: Letter of Recommendation
Letter of Acceptance: Letter of Acceptance
Applicants must satisfy all the following criteria:
(1) PhD holder
(2) Faculty member of one of the eligible universities shown in Appendix 1 (UGM Included)
(3) Under the age of 46 as of October 31, 2018
FIELD OF RESEARCH
The program targets research that contributes to solving social issues in the field of natural sciences in
the following three categories and interdisciplinary research connecting natural sciences and social
sciences. The details of each research category are shown in the classification table in Appendix 2.
(1) Energy, Environment
(2) Urban Development, Transportation
The contents of the grants are as follows:
(1) Maintenance allowance: 180,000 yen per month (6,000 yen per day)
(2) Travel expenses: From 80,000 to 150,000 yen
PERIOD OF RESEARCH
Applicants must propose a research period after consultation with potential host scientists, considering the
(1) Grants are awarded for a period minimum of 6 months and maximum of 12 months.
(2) Commencement of the research in Japan must be no later than 31 March 2020.
(3) Condition: Fellow must reside in Japan continuously over the duration of their fellowship. The duration of the fellowship may not be divided into multiple stays.
SELECTION PROCESS AND SCHEDULE
The selection process and schedule is as follows. The president’s office or international office of each eligible university is where applicants must contact to acquire information in the first place. Through the call for applications to the notification of result, any important information will be directly sent to each
office of eligible universities.
Early of Jul < Call for Applications >
End of Oct < Application Deadline >
Nov – Dec Screen application documents
Jan– Feb Conduct interviews with applicants
Jan– Feb Conduct hearings from host scientists
Early March Selection committee sits
Middle of March < Notification of Result >
Applicants must submit the following documents:
(1) Application Form: Typewritten in English (Handwriting is not accepted) in original Microsoft Word format. (Do not convert into any other format.)
(2) Photograph: Approx. 4.5cm x 3.5cm size, taken within the past 6 months.
(3) Certificate of PhD: In English, or with an English translation attached. PDF scanned format. (Photocopies will not be accepted).
(4) Letter of Recommendation: From the head or dean of the faculty to which the applicant belongs. Free format in English, converted into PDF format.
(5) Letter of Acceptance: From the host scientist of the Japanese university or research institution where the applicant wishes to conduct research. Free format in English, converted into PDF format.
(6) Papers Submitted by Applicant: For the selection committee to refer to in evaluating the application. (Submit no more than three papers.)
(7) Letter of Nomination from Faculty (addressed to Head of Office of International Affairs)
(8) English language proficiency (Min. Score of TOEFL – ITP 530, iBT 80, or IELTS 6.0)
(9) Curriculum Vitae
(10) Motivation letter
2) OIA staffs will evaluate your application.
3) Once you are selected as Nominated Student, you may continue online application through website.
4) FINAL decision from Hitachi Global Foundation.
Please send all documents above in hardcopy (3 COPIES) to Office of International Affairs, UGM (Bulaksumur Block F-12) and softcopy (compiled in 1 PDF file) to email@example.com no later thann October 16, 2018.