[This program is self-funded]
The objective of the Summer University Prague 2018, “Project Europe at a Crossroads”, is to provide students with a broad understanding of the most significant political and social issues in contemporary Europe.
Instead of relaxing at the “End of History” after the collapse of the Eastern Bloc in 1989, Europe is facing new challenges at the beginning of the 21st century. These new challenges – including the economic and financial crisis, ageing population, growing separatist/devolutionist tendencies in Scotland, Catalonia and other European regions, complicated relations with Russia and Turkey, terrorist attacks connected with the activities of the Islamic State, and the strong immigration flow – are raising concerns and leading to significant political radicalization and social unrest.
This challenging period raises feelings of uncertainty: How should Europe tackle these challenges? Europe stands at a crossroads. Should it build open structures and intensify the project of European integration? Or is it more likely to break down into local identities and follow regional and national interests?
What will “Europe” mean in the future? How many people from outside can Europe welcome and still be Europe? What are the prospects for future cooperation and negotiations between Europe and its neighbours, and between Europe and other global actors like the USA and China? Are the current populist and separatist sentiments more threatening than those which arose in past decades? Whence come Europe’s problems: are they self-inflicted, external, or bubbling up from the member states?
This “Age of Uncertainty” is an ideal time to revise common approaches and look for new perspectives. We will, together, analyse and discuss the current development of Europe in an inspiring environment made up of students coming from countries all over the world.
The course provides an interdisciplinary approach and combines multiple learning methods, such as lectures, workshops, round-table discussions, field work, group-work and student presentations. Students will not only have the opportunity to explore a range of interesting topics and gain valuable insights into the current challenges and risks to the development of Europe, but will also have occasion to improve their research and presentation skills.
Moreover, there will be numerous free-time activities that will provide participants with a chance to enjoy the wide range of attractions that Prague has to offer.
For more information, kindly visit https://summer-university.fsv.cuni.cz/
Admission deadline: June 30, 2018
Activities line: September 8th – September 22nd, 2018
This is the total price and it includes:
- Tuition (all lectures, workshops, discussions, etc. as mentioned in the programme)
- Cultural and social events (as mentioned in the programme)
- Reading materials (an on-line version will be at your disposal after enrolling)
- Accommodation in the dormitory from September 8th to September 22nd, 2018
- 2 meals per day (breakfast and lunch)
- Advice and help from our team during whole your stay in Prague
- Curriculum Vitae
- Motivation Letter
- Certificate of Enrollment from faculty
- Official academic transcript
- Letter of Recommendation from academic advisor
- Letter of Nomination issued by Home University
- Colored copy of passport
- Copy student card
- Certificate of Health Insurance (for six months)
- Passport-size photo (4 pieces, 3.5 x 4.5 cm, white background color, taken within the past three months)
- Letter of Nomination from faculty (*addressed to Head of Office of International Affairs)
- English language proficiency (Min. Score of TOEFL – ITP=530, iBT 80 or IELTS 6.0)
- Fill the online application form here
- Submit the aforementioned documents to Office of International Affairs, UGM (Bulaksumur F-13) for internal review.
- OIA staffs will evaluate your application.
- Once you are selected as Nominated Student, OIA will send your application to Charles University in Prague as host university selection.
- FINAL decision from the Charles University in Prague.
Please send all documents above in 2 COPIES to Office of International Affairs, UGM (Bulaksumur Block F-13) no later than June 6, 2018.