[Scholarship is offered for this program]
Yokohama National University is recruiting students who want to enter its graduate schools as doctoral students in October 2017 or April 2018 under the Global Doctoral Program for Academic Career Support (GDACS), which is a doctoral program for faculty members of international partner universities in emerging nations.(Second Round of Application)
The application guidelines and other documents can also be downloaded from the website below.
Graduate Schools and Programs Recruiting Students and Quota for Admission
|Graduate School||Program||Quota for Admission|
|Graduate School of International Social Sciences *||Doctoral programs||Up to around six students in total|
|Graduate School of Engineering**|
|Graduate School of Environment and Information Sciences**|
|Graduate School of Urban Innovation|
- *The Department of Economics and All-in-English Program of the Department of International Business Law do not admit students under the GDACS this time. Note that the notice date of screening results of the Department of Business Administration ( both Japanese and All-in-English Programs ) and the application deadline for the Department of International Business Law (Japanese Program) vary from other graduate schools.
- **The Graduate School of Engineering and the Graduate School of Environment and Information Sciences only recruit students for October 2017 Admission.
To be eligible, you must be, in principle, a faculty member of the universities in the emerging nations that have entered into an academic exchange agreement with Yokohama National University (including department-level agreements) listed in the appendixas well as meet all the following requirements:
- You have completed a master’s program and earned a master’s degree.
- You intend to earn a doctoral degree within 36 months of your admission to Yokohama National University as a doctoral student.
- You have asked the supervisor of your choice about research details, acceptance conditions and the like, and have obtained permission to apply before making an application.
- You are proficient in Japanese at a level equivalent to or higher than N2 of the Japanese-Language Proficiency Test (or Level 2 under the former testing system) if you want to receive research guidance in Japanese. Or you are proficient in English at a level equivalent to or higher than a score of 80 in TOEFL iBT or an overall band score of 6.0 in IELTS if you want to receive research guidance in English.
- Before Applying
Before applying, you must ask the supervisor of your choice about research details, acceptance conditions and the like, and obtain his/her permission to apply. You can find a supervisor in “List of Professors for International Students” on our website. When you send an email concerning permission to apply to the supervisor, you must also send the same email to the International Admissions Office (iaoynu.ac.jp).
- How to Apply
The application documents must reach us no later than Thursday, April 20, 2017 (or Thursday, April 13, 2017 if you apply for the Graduate School of International Social Sciences). Enclose all the application documents listed below in an envelope. Write “Application for GDACS” on the envelope and mail the envelope to the address stated below by registered mail or any other similar method. At the same time, email ①Information Sheet ②Application form and curriculum vitae and ③Field of Study and Research Plan to the email address stated below.
- Application Documents
You must prepare all application documents in Japanese or English. For any language other than Japanese and English, you must attach its Japanese or English translation bearing an official seal to every certificate.
- Information Sheet (Use the attached form. )
- Application form and curriculum vitae (Use the attached form. )
- Field of Study and Research Plan (Use the attached form. )
- Certificate of (expected) completion of master’s degree issued by your university (Submit the original.)
- Academic transcript of master’s program issued by your university (Submit the original.)
- Master’s thesis (If it is written in neither Japanese nor English, submit its Japanese or English abstract, too.)
- Score reports for a Japanese and/or English language proficiency test (such as Japanese-Language Proficiency Test, TOEFL, and IELTS)
- Two photographs of yourself (40 mm long by 30 mm wide) (Attach one of them to the application form.)
- Published books and papers, reports and conference presentations that demonstrate your achievement and ability. (If any. Attach a list. If it is written in neither Japanese nor English, submit its Japanese or English abstract, too.)
- Recommendation letter from the head of your department or president of your university (Submit the original.)
- Pledge letter to acknowledge that you are financially responsible for all living expenses incurred during your enrollment at Yokohama National University (Use the attached form. )
Notice of Screening Results
You will be notified of your results by email on Monday, June 5, 2017(or late June,2017 if you apply for the Department of Business Administration,Graduate School of International Social Sciences).
Application Fee, Admission Fee, and Tuition Fee
You do not need to pay an application fee. Successful applicants with high academic performance are exempt from admission and tuition fees. (Note that the exemption may be cancelled due to poor academic performance.) If you are not exempt, admission fee of 282,000 JPY (one time only) and tuition fee of 535,800 JPY (annually) must be paid during the designated period.
Please read the“Application Guidelines ”carefully. If you have any inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Note: The Application deadline is 20 April 2017. (For those who want to apply for the Department of International Business Law, Graduate School of International Social Sciences, the application deadline is 13 April 2017.)