[Scholarship is offered for this program]
Kansai University (KU), known as one of the leading universities in Japan with old history of 130years, is a comprehensive private university with 13 undergraduate, 13 graduate programs, and 3 professional graduate schools. There are over 30,000 students enrolled at the university including more than 800 international students. KU campuses are located in Osaka. They are about an hour train ride away from Kyoto, Kobe and Nara.
Under the new vision for internationalization entitled “Kansai University Global Initiatives” (GI Vision), KU opened the Bekka “Japanese Language and Culture Program Preparatory Course” in 2012. This unique course is designed to enhance Japanese language proficiency, media literacy and inter-cultural competency. Currently, over 100 international students from various countries and regions with large portion of students from Asia are enrolled in the course. They are striving to move on to the next stage of education at Japanese universities at both undergraduate and graduate levels.
We are now offering an Intensive Japanese Language and Culture Course (IJLC) in addition to the Preparatory Course (Bekka). IJLC will have sessions in summer and winter. In this IJLC, we provide instruction in Japanese as a second language as well as Japanese culture experiences and field trips (e.g. to Kyoto). Participants will learn Japanese language, and understand Japanese culture and society from various perspectives. Another feature of the IJLC is that the participants will have opportunities to interact with KU Japanese students through a variety of activities. In summary, participants will have opportunities to learn communicative Japanese and truly experience the vibrant cities and people of Western Japan.
- Winter 1: Sunday, January 15, 2017 – Saturday, February 4, 2017 (21 days)
- Winter 2: Thursday, February 9, 2017 – Monday, February 20, 2017 (12 days)
Undergraduate or graduate level students
Japanese language classes
Japanese culture experience (e.g., tea ceremony)
Field trips (e.g. to Kyoto)
Interaction with KU students
Participants will be placed in an appropriate level of study based on an on-line placement
test completed before coming to Japan.
- Beginner Class
This is an introductory class for students with a very basic knowledge of Japanese who
can read Hiragana and Katakana and understand basic Japanese such as greetings. This
class is equivalent to JLPT※ N5 level or lower.
- Beginner-Intermediate (Lower) Class
This class is for students who can understand and use basic Japanese. This class is
equivalent to JLPT ※ N4 – N3 level.
- Intermediate (Upper)-Advanced Class
This class is for students who have studied and acquired beginner level of Japanese and
have started studying intermediate Japanese. The students should be able to
communicate with others using basic Japanese. This class is equivalent to JLPT※ N2
※JLPT: Japanese Language Proficiency Test
※Before starting IJLC, reading and writing of Hiragana and Katakana and basic Japanese
such as greetings needs to be acquired.
※PC or tablet computer and USB memory are needed.
This is to inform you that we now offer scholarships for this course and have started the application for this winter.
Scholarship Amount: 50,000 JPN
Please note that applicants for the course must pay the full amount of course fees; the scholarship amount will be refunded to you in cash during your stay in Japan.
Scholarship Application Deadline
Winter 1: October 17 (Mon), 2016
Winter 2: November 16 (Wed), 2016
Course Application Deadline
Winter 1: October 31 (Mon), 2016
Winter 2: November 30 (Wed), 2016
Please refer to the attached files for the course outline and scholarship information. Course Guide, Application Forms for the Course and Accommodation can be downloaded from the following websites;
Regarding a visa, applicants are asked to obtain the appropriate visa on their own responsibility. Please consult us if an applicant is required documents to apply for a visa.
>>> Kansai University_short-term_english_2017
>>> 2017 Winter Leaflet (eng)
• Application form >>> IJLC2017 application form
• Application for accomodation >>> IJLC2017 application_for_accommodation
• Certificate of Enrollment from faculty
• Letter of Nomination from Faculty (*addressed to Head of Office of International Affairs, UGM)
• Motivation Letter
• Official Academic Transcript (in English)
• Copy of passport
• Digital Passport-size Photo (3 x 4 cm, white background color, taken within the past three months)
• Curriculum Vitae
• English language proficiency (Min. Score of TOEFL – ITP=530, iBT 8.0 or IELTS 6.0)
• Japanese language proficiency (Min. Score of JLPT N2/N3 or CEFR A2/B1)
• Letter of Recommendation from Academic Supervisor
1) Submit the aforementioned documents to Office of International Affairs, UGM (Bulaksumur F-13) for internal selection.
2) OIA staffs will evaluate your application and make the applicant ranking.
3) Once you are selected as Nominated Student, you may continue register to Kansai University as for host university selection.
4) FINAL decision from Kansai University.
Please send all documents above in 2 COPIES to Office of International Affairs, UGM (Bulaksumur Block F-13) no later than October 12, 2016 and November 2, 2016.