The Graduate School of Science and Technology (GSST) at Kumamoto University offers the International
Joint Education Program for Science and Technology (IJEP) for international postgraduate students
continuing to Master’s degrees in the following research and educational fields. Enrollment is either in April
or in October. The main language of this program for classes and research is English. Basic Japanese language
courses are offered at Center for Japanese Language and Culture.
Research and Educational Fields
Department: Physics, Chemistry, Earth and Environments, Biological Sciences
Department: Mathematics, Applied Mathematics
New Frontier Sciences
Department: New Frontier Sciences
Applied Chemistry and Biochemistry
Department: Applied Chemistry and Biochemistry
Materials Science and Engineering
Department: Materials Science and Engineering
Mechanical System Engineering
Department: Advanced Mechanical Systems, Intelligent Mechanical Systems
Computer Science and Electrical Engineering
Department: Computer Science and Communication Engineering, Frontier Technology for Energy and
Devices, Human and Environmental Informatics
Civil and Environmental Engineering
Department: Environmental Conservation Engineering, Environmental Management and Planning
Department: Architecture and Environment Planning, Building Materials and Structures
Number of Students for Admission
Up to five students.
Financial aid for the first year of the program will be awarded to some applicants whom the selection
committee recognizes to have excellent records. Extension of the financial aid is possible after a review
After successful fulfillment of the course requirements, Master of Science, Master of Engineering, or Master
of Philosophy will be conferred.
Fees and Tuition
Examination fee: ¥30,000
Enrollment fee: ¥282,000
Tuition: ¥267,900 per semester (¥535,800 per year)
<Documents to Submit>
1) Application Form for IJEP in the Graduate School of Science and Technology, Kumamoto University
(format available on website).
2) Health certificate completed within 6 months prior to the date of application (format available on
3) Statement of objectives written by the applicant. It should include reasons for application to the
Graduate School, how the applicant qualifies to be a graduate student, and the applicant’s academic,
research, and professional goals.
4) A certificate of Bachelor’s degree (or a certificate of anticipation of completion), or a copy of a diploma
(original and English translation).
5) Official transcripts of academic recordsin English from each college and university attended, including
information such as GPA and ranking.
6) English summaries of Bachelor’s thesis or equivalents. An interim report is acceptable for applicants
who have not yet graduated at the time of application.
7) Official certificate of citizenship (original and English translation).
8) A copy of the applicant’s passport (if applicant has the passport already).
9) A letter of recommendation in English from the head of the faculty or graduate school of the applicant’s
10) A letter of recommendation in English from a professor or a research supervisor who can evaluate the
applicant’s ability in study and research.
11) A letter in English from the employer indicating knowledge and consent of this application, if the
applicant is employed at the time of application.
12) An official score of TOEFL, TOEIC, or IELTS, if the applicant’s native language is not English. Scores
are valid only if dated within two years of the application deadline.
13) Proof of remittance of the examination fee (¥30,000 Japanese yen.
If you make a payment from abroad, please pay 32,500 yen in total (a handling fee of ¥2,500 should
be included) using wire transfer to the following account. Please note that you will be charged for
transfer fees separately.
Information Download –> application_information_Doctoral2016(1)
CheckList_MEXT_Doctor CheckList_MEXT_Master Health_certificate Notes_for_filling_out_for_Study_Program Study_program (Sample)Application_form_MEXT Application_form_MEXT Application_form_GSST
Please send 2 copies of all documents above to Kantor Urusan International UGM (Bulaksumur, F13) no later than : 15 JUNE 2016.
[Japan] International Joint Education Program for Science and Technology (IJEP) (Master & Doctoral)