The SHAPE-SEA Program aims to develop the capacity of universities in ASEAN and the Southeast Asian region to contribute to the improvement of human rights and peace situation in Southeast Asia through applied research and education. The program has three streams:
• Applied Research
• Publications and Public Relations
• Capacity Building and Outreach
SHAPE-SEA is a collaboration of the ASEAN University Network- Human Rights Education (AUN-
HRE) and the Southeast Asian Human Rights Studies Network (SEAHRN). It is hosted by the Institute of Human Rights and Peace Studies of Mahidol University, Thailand, and it is funded by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA).
Who can apply?
Academics from the ASEAN University Network (AUN) and Southeast Asia Human Rights Studies Network (SEAHRN) to strengthen teaching experiences and undertake research relevant to the research themes at a member institution.
One Academic Research Exchange will be supported in 2015
Four Academic Research Exchanges in 2016
✦The Academic Research Exchange will be within the ASEAN University Network and the SEAHRN University Network;
✦The duration of the exchange must be a minimum of one month and be completed in three months;
✦Exchanges are research based Steering Committee.
One month exchange: At least one Lecture/Seminar delivered/conducted at the host university
Two month exchange: At least two Lectures/Seminars delivered/conducted at the host university
Three month exchange: At least one lecture/Seminar delivered/ conducted at the Host University and one research paper of publishable standards to be submitted to the Publications team
Research outputs which include the following, in addition to a research papers, will be viewed positively:
Policy impact briefs, texts for use in university classrooms, specialist guides (for civil society, students, policy makers etc), new media outputs such as blog posts and web pages, and other academic output which contributes to the understanding peace and human rights in Southeast Asia.
Individual applicant criteria
Academics from the ASEAN University Network and SEAHRN university network are encouraged to apply. Individuals must fit one of following criteria:
• Full-time or part-time academics employed in the ASEAN University Network, or
• Working at a research institute in the SEAHRN University Network
• Academics on sabbatical will be considered and will need to provide a letter for permission of absence from the
Research proposal: 1000 words
Researchers must submit a proposal of about 1,000 words and it will contain the following:
- Name, position and institution of the lead researcher
- Name of Institute for research exchange and reasons for choosing the institute
- Expected time for the exchange
- Summary of the research project (500 words), including: research problem, research questions and significance of the research
- Research methodology (300 words)
- Expected research output (if any, other than grant expected outputs)
- If on sabbatical, letter of permission of absence from the university of employment
Please email your research proposal for 2015 to the SHAPE SEA
By: 5:00 pm Bangkok Time, June 30, 2015.
Research proposals for 2016 research exchanges can also be submitted
from June 2015 – December 2015.
For further information please contact Capacity-building and Outreach
Program Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.